I found this podcast from Rob Bell really helpful. Here’s my summary:
Psalm 8:4-5 “what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honour.” You are crammed full of greatness so don’t be surprised that you have a desire to do something amazing! People are messed up in Genesis 3, yes, but we were created awesome and for awesomeness in Genesis 1.
Ambition (like fear) is a valuable passenger – but do not let it drive the car or choose the music. How can you tell ambition is driving?
- A haunting exhaustion – pushing too hard and over-committing and you don’t know why
- You are jealous of others’ success
- You are not inspired by others but threatened
- Everything is about making/getting “it” – everything will be great when …
- You lose all moments of gratitude, wonder and awe – “I get to do this”
- A sense of entitlement – living is giving, not waiting for a gift you feel you are owed from others
- No sense of humour – esp. when things go wrong
Own your ambition – take a 1000 whacks at it.
You may have got burned but you can’t put a lion on a leash. You were given the desires for a reason. We need your body broken and your blood poured out.
Ambition in its proper place is humbling.